- Automatically dial up an Internet provider at night, when rates are low and download files. The manager will disconnect the dial up when the downloading is complete.
- Download huge files for users with a broadband connection, can resume broken downloads, limit downloading capacity, browse a site automatically to download specified content, and do regular updating of downloads.
Download managers either use BHO, browser helper object or APP, asynchronous pluggable protocol to intercept downloads. Some managers use one while others use both methods. An effective download manager is known to increase download speeds by 500 percent.
- BHO is used by: FlashGet, GoZilla, Mass Downloader, Alligator, and NetAnts.
- APP is used by: GetRight, Re Get, FlashGet, and Download Accelerator Plus.
- If a download is broken due to browser crash, electricity shut down, or lost connection, a download manager will resume where the process was interrupted.
- A download manager permits viewing of partially downloaded video files.
- It will allow you to drag and drop, download links to a floating icon.
- It can be programmed to begin when the PC is not in use and shut down on completion.
- One can formulate simple rules which the manager will follow to download several files from a site.
- Download managers do automatic recursive downloads.
- A manager manages files and gives instant review of downloads.
Download managers are of many kinds. Some are free while others require payment. Commonly used managers are: Offline Explorer, Nici, GoZilla, WellGet, Download Accelerator Plus, and Mozilla Firefox. Related to but different are P2P applications: Kazaa, eMule, BitTorrent, and stream recorders.
An ideal download manager must be:
- Easy to use.
- Not have spyware or adware.
- Provide effortless downloads.
Choose a manager after you compute your PC needs. Find out what integrates well with your system. Always keep abreast with developments and changes in technology. A suitable download manager can make life easy and wonderful. Enjoy movies, videos, news clips, photographs, as well as games.